Inspections are required with any project that requires a building permit. These inspections take place before, during and after the project to verify that the people performing the work are complying with all applicable Codes.
Additional information is applicable to some items below and is indicated by a number or numbers in parentheses. Please see the numbered list below for the corresponding information in the Notes section.
- Water Lateral (2, 3)
- Sanitary or Storm Sewer Lateral (2, 3)
- Site Plumbing Utilities (2, 3)
- Floating Slab
- Deck post/Pier holes
- Drain Tile
- Exterior underground sanitary sewer (2, 3)
- Interior underground sanitary sewer (2, 3)
- Temporary building electrical service
- Permanent building electrical service
Rough Inspections shall be requested and completed prior to installing insulation or any covering or finish materials and may include:
- Rough Construction (1)
- Rough Electrical (1)
- Rough HVAC (1)
- Rough Plumbing - (2, 3)
- Gas Piping and Pressure Test (1, 5)
- Insulation / Vapor Barrier
- Shower/tub safing for site built showers/tubs
- Final inspections may include:
- Final Construction (1)
- Final Electrical (1)
- Final HVAC(1)
- Final Plumbing (1, 2, 3, 4)
- Site Improvements
Notes 1 - These items shall be called in at the same time by the Owner or General Contractor as so to be inspected as a group.
2 – These items shall be called in by the Plumbing Contractor.
3 - Certain plumbing installations require an air or water test in accordance with Wisconsin Administrative Code Section SPS 382.21
4 - Plumbing Air Admittance Valves (AAV) must be tested and witnessed by the Plumbing Inspector.
5 - All gas piping installations must be tested in accordance with the current version of NFPA 54 or the greater of 3 pounds per square inch or 1-1/2 times the working pressure. The test shall remain without loss for a minimum of 10 minutes. All pressure tests must be witnessed by a City of Sun Prairie inspector.
Additional documents that may be required for inspections:
- Energy worksheet (required to be submitted with permit application)
- Copy of truss designer’s design sheets (to be left on site for rough construction inspection)
- Tall unsupported wall documentation (to be left on site for rough construction inspection)
- HVAC balancing affidavit (to be submitted to the Building Inspector’s office prior to final inspection)
- Foundation survey (to be submitted to the Building Inspector’s office prior to final inspection)
- Insulation compliance statement (to be submitted to the Building Inspector’s office prior to final inspection)
The permit holder is responsible for calling for all inspections. Hours of inspections are: Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. or by appointment
Please be prepared to give the address, type of inspection and contractor name. The inspector has 2 business days to make an inspection before construction can continue.
We prefer that you click here to schedule your inspections or use the QR code below on your smart phone or tablet.
Or you can submit your inspections via email or by phone (608) 825-1184.
Please do not use more than one method to schedule inspections.
Do not contact inspectors directly to request inspections.
Disclaimer: The list above is not a complete list of inspections. Some projects may need additional inspections. If your not sure if you need an inspection or when you need an inspection, please contact our office to find out.