Signs Requiring Permits
If you erect, build, alter, or relocate, a sign permit is needed. Also, if sign requires any electrical work, an electrical permit will also be required.
Types of signs that require permits (Pricing is $50 + $1 per square foot of sign):
- Wall Sign - Not to project more than 18" from the wall's surface
- Ground Sign - Bottom edge within 1' of ground (If it is greater than 1' it is considered a pylon sign)
- Projecting Sign - Allowed only in the Central Commercial Zoning District
- Pylon Sign - A free-standing sign that is not a ground sign
- Group Sign - For multi-tenant buildings and properties
- A-Frame / sandwich board sign (Priced annually at $25, you will need to fill out a new permit and submit payment each calendar year
A-Frame Sandwich Boards must also adhere to the following rules:
- May be displayed only during the day (Must be taken down every night)
- 1 sign displayed per business
- Cannot be placed on bike paths
- Cannot be larger than 2' x 4' if single-sided or 2' x 3' if double-sided
- Must be placed to allow for 4 to 6' of cleared sidewalk width
Note: If your sign is on Highway 151 or Highway 19, you may need additional permits from the state!