When you think of the Building Inspection and Code Enforcement Department you probably think permits, right? Issuing permits and performing inspections, while at the center of our department, is definitely not all we do. Our inspectors enforce the State of Wisconsin Building Code Statues and city ordinances.
- All residential buildings with 3 or more units be equipped with a secure locking system with an approved self-closing device. Each entry door to individual units be equipped with door viewers, and that all first-floor windows and sliding doors be equipped with approved ventilating locking systems and that these systems be properly maintained at all times.
- Secure Entry Ordinance is effective immediately. Compliance with the new standard shall be required by January 1, 2024.
- This ordinance was created to improve the safety for residents of the City of Sun Prairie.
- *Landlords/owners will be responsible for meeting the standards, not the tenants. *
Do I need a permit?
Many projects and additions in and around your home require city approval. Permits are required to ensure the integrity of the work and the safety of your home. Inspections (roughs and finals) should be scheduled with our office as work progresses and when the work has been completed. Inspections protect you by verifying any finished work is safe and meets statewide statutes and city ordinances. Completing and passing final inspections is the only way to close a permit on your property.
Permit Process & Fees
- Fee schedule for flat rate project permits
- New construction/ addition/ alteration building groups, new construction and addition permits,
- Alteration and repair permits
- Miscellaneous fees, and impact development or other fees charged at time of permitting
Inspections are required with any project that requires a building permit. These inspections take place before, during and after the project to verify that the people performing the work are complying with all applicable Codes.
Once a Permit has been approved, fees must be paid and the permit issued before a project can begin, or inspections can be scheduled. Commercial plan reviews must be paid at the time of approvals.
Payment options are:
- Online (Preferred)
- In person
- US mail
It is intended to protect the public health, safety and welfare. These standards apply to all property in the city, owner occupied or rental property. We investigate complaints regarding violation of the code and may issue orders for corrective action. Most violations could be prevented by following a few basic principles.
*Please allow 7-10 business days for permit applications to be approved after all submittals are received. Applications are processed in the order they are received.*