Sustainable Sun Prairie
The City of Sun Prairie is committed to making Sun Prairie a vibrant and environmentally friendly community by taking steps to conserve energy, reduce waste, and preserve our natural resources.
The City of Sun Prairie will collaborate with its citizens to create and expand sustainability practices while always recognizing the interdependence of environmental quality, economic resiliency and growth, and social equity. Our mission is to promote and enable our community to embrace a culture that is inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable.
2021 Climate Change Champion
The City of Sun Prairie has achieved 2021 Climate Champion status in the “Other” category with a Level 2 distinction due to its significant investments and commitment to climate action. Sun Prairie has established a Sustainability Committee, created a new staff position solely focused on advancing sustainability efforts, and invested in public engagement around sustainability issues.
Our organization is highly motivated to further its sustainability goals by continuously investing in resources that ensure these efforts are successful. We applied for this award as another step in demonstrating our commitment to this important work, and we're excited to pursue future opportunities by completing projects that optimize resource use (energy, water, materials, time), provide efficient systems (energy, transportation, food, waste recovery), and empower our residents and businesses to collectively maximize positive impact. Our mission is to promote and enable our community to embrace a culture that is inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable.
Are you interested in learning more about how you can support sustainability in Sun Prairie? Use the below links to learn how you can make an impact!
Resources for Energy Efficiency, Renewable Energy
- Sun Prairie Utilities - Energy Saving Programs
- Sun Prairie Utilities - Going Solar
- WPPI Energy - Customer Programs
- Focus on Energy - Residential Solutions
- Focus on Energy - Renewable Energy
- Focus on Energy - Find a Trade Ally
- Renew Wisconsin - Solar Energy
- Renew Wisconsin - Solar Installers
- Energy Sage - Solar Incentives
Resources for Materials, Water, Forestry
- City Recycling, Recycling Center Information, Sustain Dane Recycle Better Resources
- Pellitteri: Kipp Station Video, Contamination Concerns, Recycling Tip Videos
- Recycling, Recycle Center, Recycle Better
- What happens to my Recycling?
- Appliance and Electronic Recycling
- Habitat for Humanity - ReStore Materials Donation
- Guide to Backyard Composting
- Compost Bin Purchasing, Spring Group Sale
- Hazardous Household Waste Disposal
- Flushing Guidelines
- Water Efficiency - US EPA WaterSense
- Water Conservation Tips
- Stormwater Projects and Tips
- Clean Lakes Alliance - Top 10 Actions
- Forestry Tips
- EPA - Lawn & Garden
No Mow May 2022 Impact Report
These free resources can help support your business in reducing operating costs, resource consumption, and gain recognition as a leader in sustainability best practices.
- ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager
- Focus on Energy - Training
- WPPI Energy - Business Programs, SPU Programs
- We Energies: Free Energy Consultation, Energy Saving Strategies, Gas Management Resources
- Small Business Guide to Energy Conservation
- Wisconsin Sustainable Business Council - Green Masters Program
- Dane County - Reducing Business Emissions Resources
- Dane County - Construction & Demolition Recycling
- Greater Madison MPO - RoundTrip Program
- EPA Sustainable Materials Management
- Terracycle - Free Recycling Programs
- Bicycle Friendly Business Program
Sustainability Task Force & Committee
From May 2020 to April 2021, the Sustainability Task Force met to determine a roadmap to advance sustainability initiatives in Sun Prairie.
You can review the final report, including staff and public survey results.
The Common Council ordained a permanent Sustainability Committee which held its first meeting in September 2021. A Strategic Framework was presented which builds off the final report and provides direction to the Committee.