- Permits & Licenses
- Resident Permits & Licenses
- Dog Licenses, Dog Park Permit
Dog Licenses, Dog Park Permit
We are selling Dog licenses and Dog Park Permits for the licensing year 2023.
State Statutes and the City of Sun Prairie Ordinances require all dogs five (5) months of age or older, to be vaccinated for rabies and licensed. Licenses are valid as of January 1st and expire on December 31st of each year and are to be purchased on an annual basis. To receive a Dog Park Permit, you must license your dog.
You are required by the State to present or send, a copy of the rabies vaccination certificate when applying for a license. The rabies vaccination certificate from your veterinarian must state the manufacturer name, serial number of the rabies vaccine, and the expiration date of the rabies vaccination.
Note: Staff will not contact your Veterinarian for the rabies vaccination certificate so please ensure that you have the proper documentation prior to submitting your application.
Dog Licenses Fees
- $20.00 for spayed or neutered dogs
- $25.00 for intact dogs
- $16.00 for a spayed or neutered puppy under 5 months (Puppies are dogs who become 5 months of age after July 1 of the license year)
- $18.50 for an intact puppy under 5 months (Puppies are dogs who become 5 months of age after July 1 of the licensing year. This is with a birthday of February 1 or after of the licensing year)
Dog Park Permit Fees
- $43.00 for the first dog
- $20.00 for 2nd and 3rd dog
- $20.00 for Senior/ Disabled
- $20.00 For Military/Veteran** New this year**
Adding a Dog Park Permit after completing your Dog Registration
If you would like to add a Dog Park permit after submitting and paying for your dog registration, please contact us at email@example.com or call 608-837-2511. We will then add the Dog Park Permit(s) to your registration and you can then pay and finish online.
Per state Statutes, 174.05(5), a $5.00 late fee will be assessed to each dog that has not been licensed prior to April 1st each year. Dogs that are too young to be vaccinated by April 1st are exempt from this late fee.
Licensing and Payment Options
1. Online via ViewPoint: Click Here to Apply and Pay Online Obtain your dog license online 24 hours a day. You will need the following items to obtain your dog license:
- Current Rabies Vaccination Certificate (not an invoice/receipt). A scan or clear photograph is acceptable to upload
- Payment (online via card/echeck or you may elect to mail in/drop off payment at the City Hall drop box to avoid convenience charges)
Estimated turnaround time: Immediate if paying online. You will be emailed a receipt that will provide proof of licensure/dog park access.
Your documentation and dog license tag(s) will be mailed to you within 3 to 5 business days.
2. In-Person: Obtain your dog license in person at the Sun Prairie City Hall during normal operation hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. You will need the following items to obtain your dog license:
- Current Rabies Vaccination Certificate (not an invoice/receipt)
Estimated turnaround time: Immediate
3. Via Mail: For your convenience, you may obtain your license via mail with the attached dog license application (PDF). You will need to mail the following items to the City of Sun Prairie to obtain your dog license:
- Current Rabies Vaccination Certificate (not an invoice/ receipt)
- Dog License Application (PDF)
- Check payable to the City of Sun Prairie for the correct amount
- Estimated turnaround time: 3 to 5 business days
Estimated turnaround time: 3 to 5 business days
Your documentation and dog licenses tag will be mailed back to you.
When should you get a license?
New to the City/New Dog
- Within 30 days of obtaining your dog
- Within 30 days of moving into the city
- When the dog turns 5 months old and has received a rabies vaccination
A late fee of $5 is assessed if a dog license is not purchased within 30 days of moving into the city or obtaining your dog.
By December 31 of each year
A late fee of $5 is assessed for dog license renewals not purchased prior to April 1st.
Additional Information for ViewPoint Payments
- This service is provided as a convenience by the City of Sun Prairie to its citizens and bill payers.
- Transactions are handled by a 3rd party merchant that charges a processing fee (the city does not receive any portion of these fees).
- Pay with Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express cards. 2.99% + 0.99¢ fee applied
- Pay via ACH direct-debit from most major banks, with instant verification via login to online banking. $5.50 flat fee