- Neighborhood Navigators
- Program Impact & Outcomes
Program Impact & Outcomes
The Sun Prairie Neighborhood Navigators program has been in existence since 2018, thanks to support through the Dane County Department of Health Services, the City of Sun Prairie, and the Wisconsin Department of Health Services.
The following data serves as a snapshot of the overall program need and impact over the years:
Unduplicated residents served:
Stories of Impact
- In 2022, the Navigators team conducted a home visit and learned of a child who was in need of glasses. The child had gone through several pairs due to sports, and the family was unable to afford a new pair. The Navigator team was able to use their connections to obtain a voucher for the child to receive a free pair that is more durable than their previous pairs.
- In 2021, a resident was experiencing severe rodent issues in their apartment unit. The Navigators team brought this issue to the attention of the Distressed Property Task Force, which then escalated the issue and was able to involve City Officials to help with alleviating the issue. Members of the Navigator team assisted this individual with cleaning their apartment.
- In 2021, Navigator Barry, saw a man walking to work with a trash bag along Main Street. Barry approached the man and found out that he was recently homeless and walking to his brand new job. Barry was able to connect the man with a taxi voucher for a ride to work and a gift card from the Friends of the Neighborhood Navigators for food. The man was incredible grateful - he teared up and gave Barry the biggest hug he's ever received!
- In 2021, the Navigator team facilitated a vehicle donation to Angel Cars, LLC that was then used to provide a free car to a victim of domestic abuse.
- In 2020, the Navigator team connected an individual facing eviction and financial difficulties due to payday loans to resources and financial advising. The Navigator team assisted this individual in securing new housing before an eviction could take place.
- In 2020, the Navigators worked with a family facing food insecurity. In assisting the family, it was discovered that a child in the household had vision issues, but experienced language and transportation barriers in obtaining medical assistance. The "Navigators team connected the family to medical services that resulted in the child having eye surgery and saving their vision before it was too late.
- In 2019, the Navigators provided donated gas cards to individuals in need. One individual did not have gas in their tank, or money to purchase gas, but had a job interview scheduled. The gas card provided that resident with the opportunity to get to their interview and they ended up getting the job!
- In 2019, the Navigators were made aware of the residents' wishes to have the basketball court at the Rolling Prairie apartment complex repainted. This improvement was not within the complex's budget so the Navigators sought out a donor and connected the donor to the property manager. The basketball court was repainted within weeks!
Navigators in Action
- In 2022, the Navigators team served a total of 83 unduplicated youth through their Youth Mentorship Program. Youth in the Vandenburg Heights and Element neighborhoods were able to participate in a free program that connected youth with positive role models and safe, supervised activities throughout the summer.
- Since 2020 and continuing on today, in collaboration with community partners, the Navigator team provided residents at Rolling Prairie, the Element, and Vandenburg Heights neighborhoods with food, essential items, and activities 3 times weekly during the summer, and once a week during the school year.
- From the onset of the pandemic in 2020 through SPASD returning to in-person instruction, the Navigator team, in partnership with the YMCA and Community Schools, provided lunches, activities, and essential items five days per week at the Rolling Prairie, the Element on Main, and Vandenburg Heights neighborhoods.
The Neighborhood Navigator program works with a variety of different community organizations and service providers within the Sun Prairie and Dane County region. Through our work, we actively make referrals to the following organizations:
- The Bed Lady
- Boys & Girls Club
- CARDS Closet
- Centro Hispano
- Community Schools
- First Care Clinic
- Head Start
- Joining Forces for Familes
- Mobile Food Pantry/Sun Prairie Emergency Food Pantry
- Operation Fresh Start
- Project Babies
- Public Health Madison & Dane County
- St. Vincent de Paul
- Salvation Army
- Shelter from the Storm
- Sun Prairie Early Childhood Zone
- Sun Prairie Emergency Medical Services
- Sun Prairie Fire Department
- Sun Prairie Public Library
- Sun Prairie Parks, Recreation & Forestry Department
- Sun Prairie Police Department
- Sunshine Place
- Tenant Resource Center
- United Way