Sun Prairie Historical Library & Museum
In response to sky-rocketing COVID-19 numbers, the Museum staff have decided to postpone the ‘Christmas in 1910’ exhibit until next December (2021) and the Sun Prairie Historical Library & Museum will close to the public for the season.
The Museum is unfortunately withdrawing our involvement in the BID’s ‘Ladies Nights Out’ festivities this year but hope to be back in 2021 with a new Gift Shop. The Museum staff will decorate the building exterior to complete the backdrop for the tree lighting event on the evening of December 5th. We hope our community stays safe this holiday season and we will turn our sights to the New Year.
The Museum is closed for the winter season and will re-open with new exhibits on Saturday, April 24, 2021.
To keep the COVID-19 virus from spreading, all staff and ALL VISITORS ARE REQUIRED TO WEAR MASKS while viewing exhibits. Please bring your own face mask. Interactive aspects of displays have been removed and a maximum number of visitors has been set to promote social distancing.
Admittance to the Museum is free and there is no charge for most Museum sponsored activities. Cash donations are accepted and always greatly appreciated. All donations will be used for educational programming.
Private Tours of the Museum
Museum tours for families and small groups are suspended as we build our new spring exhibits. If you would like to make an artifact donation or make a research request, please leave a message at 608-825-0837 or send us an email.
About the Building
Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2010, this 1924 red brick building is located at 115 E. Main Street in downtown Sun Prairie. The building was designed by Alvin E. Small who was born in Sun Prairie in 1869. He attended school in Sun Prairie and became a well-known architect in Madison, responsible for designing many prairie-style homes and several Madison buildings.
Originally designed as a Public Library, established in 1927, this building was constructed on the land occupied by the original Bird homestead. Now serving the community as the municipal Historical Library and Museum, past uses of this building include City Offices, Village Council Chambers, the original site of the Colonial Club Senior Center, and for a short time served as a World War II Red Cross Center where volunteers rolled bandages and donated blood.
In the summer of 2018 the Museum’s windows were blown out and walls were cracked from the gas explosion one block away. All items in the Museum’s collection needed to be removed and stored off-site so some major renovations could take place. Over the next year and a half new UV windows were installed, wall-to-wall carpet was removed and the original library wood floors were restored, a new wheelchair lift and ADA restroom were installed and the walls were re-plastered.