- City Attorney's Office
City Attorney's Office
The chief legal officer of the city is the City Attorney. This position provides counsel and direction to the city by attending meetings of the City Council and various committees and commissions when required.
The City Attorney provides written opinions to the City Council, boards and commissions, the City Administrator, and City departments. The City Attorney assists in the preparation and review of legal documents, legislation, and other matters in which there is a City interest.
File a Claim
Instructions for Filing a Claim against the City of Sun Prairie:
If damages have occurred for which you believe that the City may be responsible, it is your right to file a claim with the City. Per State Statute, claims must be filed with the City within 120 days after the happening of the event giving rise to the claim. Please note that payment of a claim is contingent upon the City being found legally liable.
If you wish to file a claim against the City, the claimant must present to the City of Sun Prairie the completed and signed claim form or a similar signed written document indicating that you wish to place the City on notice regarding this incident. The claim form or letter must state the address of the claimant, a statement of what happened, the relief sought, and any other pertinent information. Total monetary damages must be listed in order to process the claim.
Submitting the following information will allow the City of Sun Prairie to act on your claim more promptly:
- Proof of the amount of the claim by means of either itemized receipts, bills, and invoices that were paid, or itemized repair estimates if the claimed damage is to a motor vehicle
- A phone number at which the claimant can be reached during business hours
- A description of the incident with as much detail as possible, including the date, time, and location
The claim form and all information should be submitted in person or by mail to:
City Attorney’s Office
Please contact the Sun Prairie City Attorney's Office at 608-825-1158 with any questions.
- Pay Fines Online
- Wisconsin State Bar Lawyer Referral and Information Service, 800-362-9082
- State Public Defender's Office, 608-266-9150
- Legal Action of Wisconsin, 608-256-3304