Water in Your Basement

Who to Contact

During business hours you can contact the Water Treatment Facility. On Saturdays, Sundays and holidays, contact the Sun Prairie Police Department at 608-837-7336.

Laterals Plugged

It's possible that your lateral that carries wastewater from your home to the sewer main in the street is plugged or that the sewer main itself is plugged. If water only comes up through a floor drain when you are using water in the house, chances are that your lateral is plugged. If water continues to come up through a drain when you are not using any water in the house, the sewer main is probably plugged.

What to Do

In either case, contact the Water Treatment Facility or Police Department to report your problem. Someone should arrive at your home within 30 minutes to determine where the blockage is.

Homeowners Responsibility

If your lateral is plugged, plant personnel will advise you to contact a plumber. Maintenance of the sewer lateral from inside the home to the sewer main is the homeowner's responsibility. The homeowner shall pay all costs associated with cleaning the lateral. If the sewer main is plugged, the city is responsible for the maintenance and will take care of it quickly.

The city has developed an extensive maintenance program for cleaning and repairing the sewer system. This program helps to ensure that sewers maintain their capacity, helps to extend their useful life, and helps to protect the health and safety of the general public.