Sun Prairie Public Library Board
The Sun Prairie Public Library Board consists of a nine (9) members. Members are primarily residents of the City of Sun Prairie, except that not more than two members may be residents of other municipalities. Members are appointed by the mayor, with approval of the City Council. Terms of such members are for three years from May in the year of their appointment. Not more than one member of the City Council may be a member of the library board at one time. The Mayor shall appoint the School District Administrator (or his or her representative) to represent the public school district or districts in which the library is located.
Duties of the Sun Prairie Public Library Board
As defined in Wisconsin State Statutes, duties of the library board include but are not limited to:
- Exercising exclusive control of the expenditure of all moneys collected, donated or appropriated for the library fund, and of the purchase of a site and the erection of the library building whenever authorized. The Library Board also has exclusive charge, control and custody of all lands, buildings, money or other property devised, bequeathed, given or granted to, or otherwise acquired or leased by, the municipality for library purposes.
- Auditing and approving all expenditures of the public library.
- Supervising the administration of the public library and appoints a librarian, who shall appoint such other assistants and employees as the library board deems necessary, and prescribes their duties and compensation.
- Making an annual report to the division and to its governing body.
- Receiving, managing and disposing of gifts and donations in accordance with State Statute.
Click here for a full description of the Sun Prairie Public Library Board in Chapter 2.80 of the Sun Prairie Municipal Code of Ordinances.Meeting Schedule
The Board meets monthly, which normally the 2nd Thursday of each month at 5:00 p.m. at the Sun Prairie Public Library.